This message has been brought to you by Chump Repellent. The Number One Personal Improvement Product On The Web Today
If there’s one thing that I’ve learned through sport, life and my religious and spritual growth, its this: “Favor Aint Fair!”
I remember my dad telling me about favor and how he always asked God for “favor.”. I remember seeing people that, in my immature and ignorant mind, didn’t deserve to have what they have and my father told me, “Boy, that’s not your place. You do what you are supposed to do and the Lord will bless you accordingly.”
I remember asking myself, “According to what?!?” And then having a one-sided conversation with myself saying, “Hell, I can work hard and bad stuff happens and someone over here can do nothing and good stuff happens. Its not fair!!!!”
But…. As my personal and spiritual growth increased, I understood that favor is not something that the unbeliever can understand and its difficult for the immature believer to get a hold of. Many can’t grasp God’s favor.
I was recently having a conversation with a colleague of mine who consistently wants to refer to me as a “great athlete” and not acknowledge me as a superb strength and conditioning coach. He recently told me, “Yeah, you’ll have the money and the cars, but I’ll get the lifetime achievement award.”.
Smiling While Crying
I smiled why crying for him on the inside. Sadly, he believes that you have to have one or the other. And secondly, he doesn’t know that I already have that, he just can’t *see* it. (Oh, I’m getting ready to shout!)
I wasn’t the best judo player in the country in 2004, Michael Barnes was. As a matter of fact, he qualified the 100kg weight class for rthe olympics, not me. If I were not for him, I would not have been able to go to Athens. I can sit here and admit that up front and openly. Did I work harder than him? I’d like to think so, but I wasn’t with him when he was practicing, so I don’t know. I do know this. His technical background was much more superior than mine, but I won the trials and went to the Olympics. Had I been living in Japan, I probably wouldn’t have even been considered as a member on the National Team.
Why am I telling you this?
Well, I want you to know that being blessed is something that your detractors cannot do anything about.
The Truth About
Case in point. My colleague said that he’s big into “earning it” (which is another discussion because “earning it” isn’t as meritous as some of you meritocracy believers may want to believe). He said, his only gripe was that Kimbo didn’t “earn” is elevated status. Well, hell, neither did George Bush! Or Obama for that matter. As my mother would say, ” some things you are SELECTED for and some situations you are ELECTED for.”. You cannot “earn” and ELECTION, you are given such a status…..ergo… Favor.
I can clearly remember telling Kevin Ferguson, the man you all know as Kimbo Slice, that he IS blessed. So many of MMA fans think that Kimbo’s time is running out. NO IT IS NOT!!
Win or lose, the hotel lobby is packed after his fights because people want to meet him. The UFC didn’t cut him, they just decided not to renew his contract. My guess is that, if it makes financial sense, he’ll be back.
Kevin Ferguson is blessed and he has been given an opportunity to do something with that blessing and he KNOWS clearly what he is supposed to do but he only has a given period of time to do it. See, whether Kimbo wins or loses, does not and will not mean anything. We all don’t watch Kimbo because he’s a great MMA Fighter. We watch because we can’t help ourselves. We are intrigued because of his magnetic personality. He has been spiritually “donned” as the man of the hour (for this appointed time). He has favor on his life. You, me, nor Dana White can stop that. That’s a fact. He’s on Gods time.
Now getting back to what I was saying.
He said, “Yeah, you’ll
have the money and
the cars, but I’ll get the
lifetime achievement award.”
LOL! Imagine that. Me waiting on someone to inform me that MY life has been a grand achievement!?!?
I know that already! I went to Howard! LOL
I already have several “lifetime achievement” awards:
* Rhadi Bullard Ferguson, PhD, is the ONLY American born judo player to receive and International Head Coaching assingment. I am currently the Head Coach for the Bahamas, and for my haters and detractors, believe me, I know its not fair…..its favor.
* I am the ONLY African American elite level judo player to retire from judo and create products and build a sustainable and viable martial arts and judo business….I know its not fair…..its favor.
* During the 2004-2008 Olympic training cycle, I had the opportunity to consult and train 9 athletes that qualified for the Olympics in 4 different sports.
Taraje Williams-Murray – Judo
Cara Heads – weightlifting
Sasha Spencer – track and field
Lauryn McNary – trtack and field
Brian Picklo – judo
CC Fisher – greco roman wrestling
Anthony Turner – judo
Valerie Gotay – judo
Natalie Lafon – judo
Those are the cold hard facts. And I trained World Champions in grappling and Brazilian Jiujitsu along the way. I know its not fair….its favor.
* I was one of 2 student-athletes in Howard University NCAA registered history to be a 3 sport athlete (and made the starting line-up at some point in ALL 3 sports.) And graduated. I know…. – know…. Its not fair.
* Even with my full schedule, I still tithe with my time and talents through volunteering and special projects
* I teach weekly online classes in my 52 week eCoaching Course and have created my own educational web portal http://www.LiveJudo.com
* I was THE only United States Olympic Training Center resident athlete during the 2000-2004 quadrennial to take full advantage of all that the training center offered by pursuing my Ph.D. while training.
* I have developed products which have save lives, extended years of life, provided relief from frustration and products which have repaired relationships. I consult and help people all over the globe right from my home and I am able to do all of this, not just because I went to school, studied, worked hard or any of that stuff. I’ve done all of that. The bottom line is that there is favor on my life.
The greatest lifetime achievement that I have is my family and my close friends are just that…FAMILY. For those that know me, you KNOW me. You know how I get down and how I don’t. You know if you need it and I got it… You got it. And you know business is business and colloquial is colloquial and not to get it twisted (biggup to Inga Willis and Winston Williams).
THE BOTTOM LINE
What the take-home message here?
Well the take home message is this….
Many are CALLED, but FEW are CHOSEN. When haters start hatin’ just tell them:
“Look don’t confuse your calling with me being chosen.” (If you missed thgat, I can’t help you, but if you got it, you should already be shoutin’!!!)
Rhadi Ferguson, PhD, CSCS